Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Direct Clay Mask

My next mask is the direct clay application. This means that I will take the clay and form it by molding it directly to my face. To start, you'll need a kiln or oven-bake clay, a mirror, and a variety of clay tools.
Start by applying a liberal coating of vaseline to the face to prevent the clay from sticking to the hair and skin. Then, take a large chunk of clay that will be able to cover the face and begin pushing it over the features, starting with the nose. You want the thickness to stay between 3/8" and 1/2" for optimal baking. Leave holes for either/both the nose or mouth so that you can breathe.


I actually had a very hard time keeping the clay on my face because the layer of vaseline was causing an adhesion problem. I got the general shape of the mask and then took it off to smooth out the features. If I did this technique again, I would try it without the vaseline since clay does not usually stick badly to skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment